Last month I read through the story of Joseph in the Bible (Genesis 37-50). Each day I was challenged to share what I learned. Here was my insight into Genesis 50.
Peace to you
In January, our pastor taught us about “shalom” – the Jewish word translated in English as “peace.” He taught peace is much more than serenity or the absence of chaos. Peace is the idea of God setting things the way they should be.
Joseph and his brothers bury their father, Jacob. They follow his requests to the letter, bury him in Canaan and return to Egypt.
Then fear sets into Joseph’s brothers. They think, “Dad’s dead. The one who kept Joseph from revenge is gone!” They sent a note of forgiveness to Joseph, delivered to him on their knees.
Joseph’s response is one of my favorite passages in the Bible:
“Don’t be afraid of me. Am I God, that I can punish you? You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people. No, don’t be afraid. I will continue to take care of you and your children.” So he reassured them by speaking kindly to them. Genesis 50:19-21
Joseph understands shalom. He knows God sees things as they ultimately should be. He knows God will use evil (not cause evil, use evil) to make things the way they should be.
Don’t be afraid. God is at work in your life, dreaming and creating as it should be. Shalom.
Daily Blessing: May you see the things meant for evil against you, your family,
Daily Challenge: God has promised us shalom – setting things
Miss a day? Find it here:
- JDay 1: Genesis 37 – Joseph: A Story of Redemption
- Day 2: Genesis 38 – Judah: A Road to Redemption
- Day 3: Genesis 39 – Joseph: The Presence is Strong in this One
- Day 4: Genesis 40 – Joseph: Ain’t Nobody Got Time for This
- Day 5: Genesis 41 – Joseph: Skills to Pay the Bills
- Day 6: Genesis 42 – Joseph: Finding Freedom in the Truth
- Day 7: Genesis 43 – Jacob: Squeezed into Decision
- Day 7b: Genesis 43 – Judah: It’s you and me
- Day 8: Genesis 44 – Judah: A
- Day 9: Genesis 45 – Joseph: Better over bitter
- Day 10: Genesis 46 – Jacob: Say goodbye, Say hello
- Day 11: Genesis 47 – Joseph: Where you go…
- Day 12: Genesis 48 – Joseph: It’s just perfect!
- Day 13: Genesis 49 – Judah: A lion of a man