Day 11 – Genesis 47
Last month I read through the story of Joseph in the Bible (Genesis 37-50). Each day I was challenged to share what I learned. Here was my insight into Genesis 47.
One last request
At every stop in life, no matter the circumstances, Joseph was a leader. He led when he was a slave in Potiphar’s home. He led when he was thrown into the king’s prison. He ends the story as a top leader of the most powerful nation in the world. Just as important, he’s a valued leader in his family.
“As the time of his death drew near, Jacob called for his son Joseph and said to him, “Please do me this favor…Do not bury me in Egypt. When I die, please take my body out of Egypt and bury me with my ancestors.” So Joseph promised, “I will do as you ask.” “Swear that you will do it,” Jacob insisted. So Joseph gave his oath, and Jacob bowed humbly at the head of his bed.” Genesis 47:29-31
I have a simple philosophy: everyone is a leader. It might not be of a company or organization. It may not be of a division or team. It may be unofficial and off the record. Everyone leads at some point at some place. As a leader, there is one simple rule – take your followers somewhere.
Until this point in the story, Joseph hasn’t held an official title of leader. He simply led. He led as a son. He led as a slave. He led in prison.
Joseph didn’t lead with titles or perks or official authority. He just led. He led his followers to safety and security. So when it came time for Jacob to make sure his final wishes were carried out, he turned to the leader of the family – Joseph.
You are a leader.
Daily Blessing: Thank you for making me a leader. Help me to lead those you’ve given me (family, friends, co-workers) better.
Miss a day? Find it here:
- Day 1: Genesis 37 – Joseph: A Story of Redemption
- Day 2: Genesis 38 – Judah: A Road to Redemption
- Day 3: Genesis 39 – Joseph: The Presence is Strong in this One
- Day 4: Genesis 40 – Joseph: Ain’t Nobody Got Time for This
- Day 5: Genesis 41 – Joseph: Skills to Pay the Bills
- Day 6: Genesis 42 – Joseph: Finding Freedom in the Truth
- Day 7: Genesis 43 – Jacob: Squeezed into Decision
- Day 7b: Genesis 43 – Judah: It’s you and me
- Day 8: Genesis 44 – Judah: A
- Day 9: Genesis 45 – Joseph: Better over bitter
- Day 10: Genesis 46 – Jacob: Say goodbye, Say hello